All about security alarms
Your new home may have been fitted with a quality security alarm. If so, it’s important you know how to operate and maintain it, and also what to do if your alarm or others in your neighbourhood sound.
Operation and servicing
The technology for alarms changes regularly, so there’s no standard model we fit on our developments.
The alarm installed will depend on when and where your home was built. Your welcome pack will have operating instructions included. If for any reason it doesn’t, please contact us using the contact box on this page.
If you do have a security alarm fitted, there are some general points to consider:
- To reset your alarm follow your user guide. If this doesn’t work, please contact your New Home Customer Care team.
- Most alarm systems will let you know when a sensor battery needs replacing.
- Always keep the control panel and sensors clean.
- It’s normally recommended that security alarms are serviced annually. We would recommend checking with your home insurance provider, as they may have certain service requirements to ensure your policy remains valid.
- If you can’t remember your alarm code, please contact the manufacturer for an engineer visit.
If your alarm is sounding
If your security alarm sounds, and this hasn’t been triggered by a power cut and you have reason to believe there may be an intruder in your home, call the police on 999 immediately. Police advice is to avoid doing anything that might put you in danger.
If your alarm sounds and there’s no evidence of an intruder
If your alarm is sounding and it’s clear there’s been no attempt at a break-in, reset your alarm. If it continues to sound and you are within your two-year warranty period, contact your local Customer Care Team. If you’re outside your warranty period please contact the original installer or a reputable alarm engineer.
If an alarm is sounding nearby
- If an alarm goes off in a show home or an unoccupied property on the development, please contact your New Home Customer Care team using the contact link on this page. Outside of office hours call our Emergency Out of Hours number: 0345 601 6084.
- If an alarm’s been triggered at a neighbour’s house and they’re not home, you may wish to contact the police on the non-emergency 111 number.
Our teams are on hand when you need us, especially in the event of an emergency.CONTACT US